Towson Presbyterian Church is an inclusive community of faith
growing as Disciples of Christ
The Principles of Discipleship are:
Worship that praises and glorifies God
Study of Scripture that engages the mind and heart
Service that seeks justice, kindness, and mercy in the world
Lives that affirm the distinct and transforming love of God
2016 will mark the 180th anniversary of Towson Presbyterian Church. TPC has a long history of strong dedication to Worship, Preaching, Christian Formation, Mission Outreach to those in need, and providing outstanding music in praise of God. TPC is a committed congregation with a passion for the gospel of Jesus Christ, intent on building upon its strong foundation in order to serve God and neighbor for many years to come.
Towson Presbyterian Church is a member of the Presbyterian Church, USA (PCUSA). Click here to read more about the Presbyterian Church and our beliefs from the PCUSA website.
1836 - 1928 Founding of TPC
Towson Presbyterian Church (TPC) was founded in downtown Baltimore in 1836, originally as the Fourth Presbyterian Church. The congregation moved to the Epsom Chapel at Goucher College in Towson in 1923, at which time the name of the church was changed to Towson Presbyterian Church. In 1925, a plot of land was purchased between Highland and Central Avenues, where the church is currently located. The first service was held at the church on Palm Sunday 1928.
1946 - 1974 Post-War Growth
TPC grew rapidly between 1946 and 1974 under the pastorate of Reverend Robert Galloway, who balanced prosperity with thoughtful reflection. The membership of TPC doubled during the 1940s and tripled in the 1950s. To accomodate the growing congregation, the building was expanded four times between 1947 and 1964. The weekly Towson Presbyterian Preschool (TPP) was estabished in 1958 and celebrated its 57th anniversary in 2013. Fully accredited by the Maryland Department of Education, TPP currently serves children in the greater Towson community and is one of the many missions of the church. In Spring 1964, TPC added the TPC Library. The library includes books and reference materials of interest and instruction to adults related to religious and moral growth and understanding.
Mid 1960's BeeTree Preserve
In the mid-1960's, the church acquired the Bee Tree Preserve, a 263-acre parcel of underdeveloped land along the NCR Trail in Parkton, MD, about 20 miles north of TPC. Bee Tree was a gift to the church by 10 member families, who assembled the property from a number of distinct owners. Today, Bee Tree contains a cemetery, as well as extensive campsites and hiking trails. Many TPC retreats and events are held on the site, including Camp Bee Tree, a popular week-long day camp for children held in July. Bee Tree is also available to the public for camping and hiking by submitting a written request to the church. For more information about Bee Tree Preserve and how to request special access to the facilities, please visit our Bee Tree web page.
1975 - 2002 Commitment to Faith
TPC continued to prosper during the 27-year pastorate of the Rev. Dr. George Gray Toole, who was installed in 1975. TPC maintained its vitality through excellent preaching and superb music, extensive programming for children and youth, genuine fellowship and mutual care, and a faithful response to Christ's call to serve others. During this period the Henry and Joyce Snyder Fund for Mission was established through the generosity of the Snyder Family for the purpose of encouraging the church to undertake hands-on international mission projects.
2003 - Present Day - Focus on the Future
The Rev. Dr. Lindley DeGarmo, led the church from 2003 - February 2015. With a long-standing tradition and commitment to serving God and God's people, TPC continues to meet the challenges of the future with a continued focus on Worship, Preaching, Christian Formation, and Mission Outreach.